R.I.P Fleas Extra Household Spray 600ml
What is R.I.P Fleas Extra flea spray and who is it for?
R.I.P Fleas Extra is a long-lasting environmental household flea spray with a pleasant floral fragrance, and one can is sufficient to cover 120 m² (the equivalent of an average 3 – 4 bedroom house).
Flea infestations used to be a problem which was confined to the summer months. However, due to the use of central heating, fleas are now a year-round nuisance.
Fleas can cause a number of problems for your pet including severe discomfort, allergic skin disease, transmission of tapeworm infections and anaemia (especially in kittens and puppies). Routine preventative treatment is critical – a single flea can lay up to 50 eggs a day, so a full-blown infestation can take hold very rapidly if your pet or home are left unprotected.
What are the active ingredients in R.I.P Fleas Extra flea spray and what do they do?
R.I.P Fleas Extra has a unique triple action formula to break the flea life cycle and protect your home for up to 12 months:
- Tetramethrin provides instant ‘knock-down’ (paralysis) of adult fleas, preventing them from biting your pet or yourself.
- Permethrin is a fast-acting, long-lasting insecticide. It kills adult fleas and flea larvae within minutes to hours of exposure (depending on the dose received) and has a duration of action of up to 12 months.
- S-methoprene is a long-lasting insect growth regulator which prevents flea eggs and larvae from developing into adults and also has a duration of action of up to 12 months.
R.I.P Fleas Extra is also fully approved for the control of house dust mites – a common cause of allergic reactions in pets and people. Using R.I.P Fleas Extra and regular cleaning and vacuuming are reliable ways to reduce the number of dust mites living in your home.
What is in R.I.P Fleas Extra flea spray?
How do I use R.I.P Fleas Extra flea spray?
- Prior to spraying, vacuum your home thoroughly. This allows R.I.P Fleas Extra to penetrate deep into carpet fibres. The vibrations and warmth from the vacuum cleaner also create a stimulus for adult fleas to emerge from the otherwise impenetrable pupae, allowing them to be exposed to the spray. Where possible, move furniture and vacuum underneath.
- Remove all pets (including small rodents, birds, fish, reptiles and insects) and children from the room being treated. If removal of large fish tanks or vivaria is not possible, cover tanks (for example, with thick blankets) and switch off aerator pumps (which should also be raised from the floor) during spraying and for one hour afterwards.
- Read all instructions and warnings on the can carefully before use. Close windows and doors. Invert the can and spray the entire floor area of the property, including wooden, laminate and tiled floors, skirting boards, under large items of furniture and in cracks and crevices.
When spraying, hold the can approximately 30 cm from the surface being sprayed and spray in a criss-cross pattern to ensure even application. Use four seconds of spray to cover one square metre of floor space. Pets’ bedding and soft furnishings should also be sprayed. Before spraying large areas of carpet or soft furnishings, treat a small, inconspicuous patch first and allow to dry to confirm compatibility with the fabric.
Remember to spray other locations where pets have been e.g. cars, outbuildings.
- Once each room has been sprayed, open the windows, leave the room and ventilate for at least 1 hour before reintroducing pets or children. Spray mist should have settled and surfaces should be dry to the touch.
- 24 hours after spraying, vacuum the property rapidly. Vacuum again at least twice a week for the next two weeks. The vibrations and warmth create a stimulus for adult fleas to emerge from the otherwise impenetrable pupae and shortens the pupal window.
- The pupal window is the period after beginning treatment for a flea infestation during which new adult fleas are emerging from pupae in the home and being seen on your pet.
- New adult fleas cannot be killed while they remain in the pupae – no environmental flea spray or ‘spot-on’ treatment is effective against pupae.
- The developing adult flea is protected by the hard shell of the pupa itself, and also by the layer of dirt covering it.
- Adult fleas will only be killed when they emerge from the pupae and jump on your pet (as long as you have treated your pet with an effective adulticide (drug that kills adult fleas) in ‘spot-on’, spray or tablet form) or are exposed to residual levels of adulticide from the environmental flea spray.
What NOT to do:
Do not apply to clothing
Do not apply to human bedding, pillows or mattresses
Do not apply to foodstuffs, eating utensils or surfaces where food is prepared
Do not apply to animals
Is there any further advice I should know about R.I.P Fleas Extra flea spray?
The flea life cycle has 4 stages: egg, larva, pupa and adult flea. The entire cycle, from egg to adult flea, is complete in 12 – 22 days when temperature and humidity conditions are ideal, but more commonly takes 3 – 4 weeks.
Surprisingly, only approximately 5% of a flea infestation is made up of adult fleas on your pet, whereas 95% is in your home as eggs, larvae and pupae.
This means that to prevent and control flea infestations, both ‘on animal’ AND environmental protection MUST be used. Ask your vet about the most appropriate flea control for your pet, and spray your home (but NOT your pet) with R.I.P Fleas Extra.
Remember that your pet picks up fleas from hatching pupae in the environment (either in the home or outside) – NOT generally from other pets.
Indorex Defence Flea Spray 500mlINDOREX® is an odourless, easy-to-use environmental flea treatment which kills adult fleas and house dust mites as well as preventing the development of flea eggs and larvae in the home.£17.99
Frontline Homegard Flea Spray 400mlFrontline HomeGard is a household flea spray designed for use in your home and surrounding environments.£15.99
Staykil Household Flea Spray 500mlSTAYKIL is an odourless environmental flea treatment which provides long lasting protection against fleas in your home.£19.99
Animology Flea & Tick Shampoo 250mlNo one likes to think about fleas and ticks but unfortunately it’s par for the course for many dog owners. Animology's Flea and Tick shampoo not only helps wash all evidence of fleas and ticks away but it also soothes and calms any irritation and bites left behind.£3.99
Show products for :