Frontline Combo Spot-on for Large Dogs 20-40kg (3 pipettes)
|Prescription Type||POM-V (Written prescription required)|
Frontline Combo Spot-on is an insecticidal and acaricidal solution for topical use, containing an association of an adulticidal active ingredient, fipronil, in combination with an ovicidal and larvicidal active ingredient, (S)-methoprene. Suitable for large dogs (20-40kg).
Indications for use
To be used against infestations with fleas, alone or in association with ticks and/or biting lice.
- Treatment of flea infestations (Ctenocephalides spp.). Insecticidal efficacy against new infestations with adult fleas persists for 8 weeks. Prevention of the multiplication of fleas by inhibiting the development of eggs (ovicidal activity), larvae and pupae (larvicidal activity) originating from eggs laid by adult fleas for eight weeks after application.
- Treatment of tick infestations (Ixodes ricinus, Dermacentor variabilis, Dermacentor reticulatus, Rhipicephalus sanguineus). The product has a persistent acaricidal efficacy for up to 4 weeks against ticks.
- Treatment of infestations with biting lice (Trichodectes canis).
The product can be used as part of a treatment strategy for the control of Flea Allergy Dermatitis (FAD).
Prescription only medicine.
Frontline Combo Spot-on is only available with a prescription from your veterinary surgeon.
To check the most up to date information about this product, please read its Summary of Product Characteristics (SPC) below:
Fipronil is an insecticide and acaricide belonging to the phenylpyrazole family. It acts by interacting with ligand-gated chloride channels, in particular those gated by the neurotransmitter gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), thereby blocking pre- and post-synaptic transfer of chloride ions across cell membranes. This results in uncontrolled activity of the central nervous system and death of insects or acarines. Fipronil kills fleas within 24 hours and ticks (Dermacentor reticulatus, Dermacentor variabilis, Rhipicephalus sanguineus, Ixodes scapularis, Ixodes ricinus, Haemaphysalis longicornis, Haemaphysalis flava, Haemaphysalis campanulata) and lice within 48 hours post-exposure.
(S)-methoprene is an insect growth regulator (IGR) of the class of compounds known as juvenile hormone analogues that inhibit the development of immature stages of insects. This compound mimics the action of juvenile hormone and causes impaired development and death of the developing stages of fleas. The on-animal ovicidal activity of (S)-methoprene results from either direct penetration of the eggshell of newly laid eggs or from absorption through the cuticle of the adult fleas. (S)-methoprene is also effective in preventing flea larvae and pupae from developing, which prevents contamination of the environment of treated animals with the immature stages of fleas.
Fipronil 268 mg
(S)-methoprene 241.20 mg
Polysorbate 80 (E433)
Diethylene glycol monoethyl ether.
Frontline Combo is a prescription product and must be applied according to the instructions by your veterinary surgeon.
Please read the product leaflet thoroughly before applying to your pet.
Marketing Authorisation Holder
Merial Animal Health Limited
PO Box 327
Harlow Business Park
Marketing Authorisation Number
- In the absence of available data, the product should not be used on puppies less than 8 weeks old and/or weighing less than 2 kg.
- Do not use on sick (e.g. systemic diseases, fever) or convalescent animals.
- Do not use in rabbits, as adverse drug reactions, even mortality, could occur.
- In absence of studies, the use of the product is not recommended in non-target species. This product is specifically developed for dogs. Do not use in cats and ferrets, as this could lead to overdosing.
Special warnings for each target species
- Bathing/immersion in water within 2 days after application of the product and more frequent bathing than once a week should be avoided, as no study has been performed to investigate how this affects the efficacy of the product. Emollient shampoos can be used prior to treatment, but reduce the duration of protection against fleas to approximately 5 weeks when used weekly after application of the product. Weekly bathing with a 2% chlorhexidine medicated shampoo did not affect efficacy against fleas during a 6 week long study.
- Dogs should not be allowed to swim in watercourses for 2 days after application. There may be an attachment of a few ticks. For this reason transmission of infectious diseases cannot be completely excluded if conditions are unfavourable. Fleas from pets often infest the animal’s basket, bedding and regular resting areas such as carpets and soft furnishings which should be treated, in case of massive infestation and at the beginning of the control measures, with a suitable insecticide and vacuumed regularly.
Special precautions for use in animals
- Avoid contact with the animal’s eyes. It is important to make sure that the product is applied to an area where the animal cannot lick it off and to make sure that animals do not lick each other following treatment.
Special precautions to be taken by the person administering the product to animals
- This product can cause mucous membrane, skin and eye irritation. Therefore, contact of the product with mouth, skin and eyes should be avoided. Animals or operators with a known hypersensitivity to insecticides or alcohol should avoid contact with the product.
- Avoid contents coming into contact with the fingers. If this occurs, wash hands with soap and water.
- After accidental ocular exposure the eye should be rinsed carefully with pure water. Wash hands after use.
- Treated animals should not be handled until the application site is dry, and children should not be allowed to play with treated animals until the application site is dry. It is therefore recommended that animals are not treated during the day, but should be treated during the early evening, and that recently treated animals are not allowed to sleep with owners, especially children.
- Do not smoke, drink or eat during application.
- Among the very rare suspected reactions, transient skin reactions at the application site (skin discoloration, local hair loss, itching, redness) and general itching or hair loss have been reported after use. Excessive salivation, reversible nervous signs (increased sensitivity to stimulation, depression, other nervous signs), vomiting or respiratory symptoms have also been observed after use. If licking occurs, a brief period of excessive salivation may be observed due mainly to the nature of the carrier.
- Do not overdose.
Use during pregnancy, lactation or lay
- The product can be used during pregnancy and lactation.
- None known.