- Advocate 100 for Medium Dogs (pack of 6)
Advocate 100 for Medium Dogs (pack of 6)
|Prescription Type||POM-V (Written prescription required)|
ADVOCATE SPOT-ON SOLUTION contains imidacloprid and moxidectin and is an effective treatment for dogs suffering from, or at risk from, mixed parasitic infections.
It is used for:
- the treatment and prevention of flea infestation (Ctenocephalides felis),
- the treatment of biting lice (Trichodectes canis),
- the treatment of ear mite infestation (Otodectes cynotis), sarcoptic mange (caused by Sarcoptes scabiei var. canis), demodicosis (caused by Demodex canis),
- the prevention of heartworm disease (L3 and L4 larvae of Dirofilaria immitis),
- the treatment of circulating microfilariae (Dirofilaria immitis),
- the treatment of cutaneous dirofilariosis (adult stages of Dirofilaria repens)
- the prevention of cutaneous dirofilariosis (L3 larvae of Dirofilaria repens),
- the reduction of circulating microfilariae (Dirofilaria repens)
- the prevention of angiostrongylosis (L4 larvae and immature adults of Angiostrongylus vasorum),
- the treatment of Angiostrongylus vasorum and Crenosoma vulpis,
- the prevention of spirocercosis (Spirocerca lupi),
- the treatment of infections with gastrointestinal nematodes (L4 larvae, immature adults and adults of Toxocara canis, Ancylostoma caninum and Uncinaria stenocephala, adults of Toxascaris leonina and Trichuris vulpis). The product can be used as part of a treatment strategy for flea allergy dermatitis (FAD).
ADVOCATE is only available with a prescription from your veterinary surgeon.
The most up to date Summary of Product Characteristics for this authorised veterinary medicine can be viewed here.
Advocate Spot-on Solution contains:
Imidacloprid, 1-(6-Chloro-3-pyridylmethyl)-N-nitro-imidazolidin-2-ylideneamine is an ectoparasiticide belonging to the chloronicotinyl group of compounds. Chemically, it is more accurately described as a chloronicotinyl nitroguanidine. Imidacloprid is effective against larval flea stages and adult fleas. Flea larvae in the pet’s surroundings are killed after contact with a pet treated with the product. Imidacloprid has a high affinity for the nicotinergic acetylcholine receptors in the post-synaptic region of the central nervous system (CNS) of the flea. The ensuing inhibition of cholinergic transmission in insects results in paralysis and death. Due to the weak nature of the interaction with mammalian nicotinergic receptors and the postulated poor penetration through the blood-brain barrier in mammals, it has virtually no effect on the mammalian CNS. Imidacloprid has minimal pharmacological activity in mammals.
Moxidectin, 23-(O-methyloxime)-F28249 alpha is a second-generation macrocyclic lactone of the milbemycin family. It is a parasiticide which is active against many internal and external parasites. Moxidectin is active against larval stages of Dirofilaria immitis (L1, L3, L4) and Dirofilaria repens (L1, L3). It is also active against gastrointestinal nematodes. Moxidectin interacts with GABA and glutamate-gated chloride channels. This leads to opening of the chloride channels on the postsynaptic junction, the inflow of chloride ions and induction of an irreversible resting state. The result is flaccid paralysis of affected parasites, followed by their death and/or expulsion.
The drug has a persistent action and protects dogs for 4 weeks after a single application against re-infection with the following parasites: Dirofilaria immitis, Dirofilaria repens, Angiostrongylus vasorum
After topical administration of the product, imidacloprid is rapidly distributed over the animal’s skin within one day of application. It can be found on the body surface throughout the treatment interval. Moxidectin is absorbed through the skin, reaching maximum plasma concentrations approximately 1 to 2 days after treatment in cats and approximately 4 to 9 days after treatment in dogs. Following absorption from the skin, moxidectin is distributed systemically throughout the body tissues but due to its lipophilicity it is concentrated mainly in the fat. It is slowly eliminated from the plasma as manifested by detectable moxidectin concentrations in plasma throughout the treatment interval of one month.
The T ½ in dogs is about 28.4 days.
Studies evaluating the pharmacokinetic behaviour of moxidectin after multiple applications have indicated that steady state serum levels are achieved following approximately 4 consecutive monthly treatments in dogs.
PackagingBox containing six 1.0 ml pipettes.
100 mg/ml imidacloprid
25 mg/ml moxidectin
ADVOCATE is a prescription product and must be applied according to the instructions by your veterinary surgeon.
Please read the product leaflet thoroughly before applying to your pet.
MARKETING AUTHORISATION HOLDER
Bayer Animal Health GmbH
MARKETING AUTHORISATION NUMBER(S)
EU/2/03/039/001-004, EU/2/03/039/013-014, EU/2/03/039/019-022, EU/2/03/039/031-038
The European Medicines Agency Summary for the Public for this medicine can be viewed here.
Show products for :